Tuesday 23 January 2018

Self-Introductory Email

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Evonne Lee
Subject: Self-introductory Email

Dear Brad,

It is great seeing you again after Culture and Cuisine classes last trimester. I would like to take this opportunity to formally introduce myself to you as I have yet to have the opportunity to do so since then. My name is Evonne Lee and I am a hospitality business undergraduate at Singapore Institute of Technology.  Prior to joining SIT, I graduated with a diploma in Tourism and Resort Management at Singapore Polytechnic, and took a gap year before my university application.

The reason why I took a gap was that I was unsure of what I wanted to pursue in life after diploma. Having interned at Universal Studios Singapore during polytechnic as a Guest Services officer, I decided to step out of my comfort zone and join a start-up called ShopBack as a Customer Experience Officer to experience life outside the hospitality industry. Thankfully at ShopBack, I was given the opportunity to fly to Kuala Lumpur to provide training in the later part of my one year stint. I was also given an opportunity to undertake the role of a Customer Analytic Associate which required me to utilise the knowledge of our customer base to redesign the website layout, as well as redefining the terms and conditions of all our merchants. This experience was definitely a fruitful one. However, I felt that hospitality was still my passion as I missed the energy of people in a busy environment and also interacting with people from all around the world.

As I was exempted from Industry Attachment in year one, I decided to source for a marketing internship and hence landed myself with one in a Social Enterprise called Jaga-Me. Despite having only four short months in the company, I am grateful to have learned a lot about marketing, as well as the social sector in Singapore.

I spend my free time hanging out with friends and family as I am someone who prioritises relationships with my loved ones over anything else. From binge-watching Netflix alone to singing karaoke and chilling with my friends, I enjoy being alone as well as being in a large company of friends.

The biggest difficulty I face is public speaking. I tend to stutter and rush through my lines when I get nervous. I also lack the confidence in looking at the audience, which is something that is definitely to my disadvantage. As an introvert, I hope that this module will help to develop my public speaking skills and build up my confidence in communicating with people professionally.

I look forward to improving myself through the remaining weeks of this module under your guidance.

Yours sincerely,
Evonne

Blogs I have commented on:
Yushan
Rachael
Shafique

8 comments:

  1. Hi Evonne,
    I too took a gap year as I was unsure of what I wanted to do in the future. I think most of us has a fear of public speaking but lets hope, through this module we can all improve and boost our confidence level! -Rachael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rachael! I think that you do public speaking really well so I'm sure you'll get there by the end of this module! :)

      Delete
  2. Dear Evonne,

    I really like how your blog is neat and organised. It helps the reader to easy understand what you are trying to say.
    Similar to you, I also tend to stutter, rush through my lines when I get nervous and lack the confident to look into the eyes of the audience. I hope this module can bring us closer and also help us to overcome the challenges we are facing as stated above.

    Warm regards,
    Yushan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yushan, thank you for the compliment! I look forward to improving ourselves through this module and also working with you and the team for our project!

      Delete
  3. Dear Evonne,

    Thank you for this informative letter focusing on your rich and varied experience. I enjoy learning more about you after seeing you but not getting to know you last term. Of course, I also appreciate having a familiar face in the module. I just hope that your experience in CPDII can approximate the one you had in Culture and Cuisine in terms of the general energy and excitement. (On that note, because I love Middle Eastern food, I've been back to Kazbar twice since we all went there for the class, and I plan to dine there tonight as well!)

    In terms of your post, I do have a few questions about your experience. You mention your gap year and that you switched from HB into the business start up environment but that you "missed the energy of people in a busy environment." Can you explain that?

    In addition, what is it about "interacting with people from all around the world" that satisfies you?

    I also really appreciate you sharing about your love of family and at the same time your enjoyment of spending time alone. That sounds very balanced to me.

    In terms of language use, this is a fluent post, with only a few areas to take note of:

    1. punctuation
    — I was also given an opportunity to undertake the role of a Customer Analytic Associate which required me ... >>>


    see https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/index.html

    2. capitalization
    — diploma in Tourism and Resort Management
    — during polytechnic as a Guest Services officer,...
    -- as a Customer Experience Office
    -- I was exempted from Industry Attachment
    etc.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for the feedback, I have taken note of the pointers you have shared with me.

      The phrase about interacting with people all around the world refers to the energy and excitement I get from working in an amusement park as compared to having a desk bound job!

      I agree with you that Kazbar was great and it was actually my first time trying middle eastern cuisine! I am glad to have this opportunity to experience different cuisines in an elective module.

      Enjoy your CNY holiday too!

      Evonne

      Delete
  4. Dear Evonne,

    I admire your courage that you were not afraid to step out of your comfort zone and face challenges. I am constantly being held back from opportunities due to my fear of change. I would like to learn to step out of my comfort zone more often.

    Great content and very attractive blog cover.

    Regards,
    Michelle Tan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Michelle,

      Thank you for the compliment! I enjoyed reading your blog post too.

      I believe that we should always step out of our comfort zone while we are young and live with no regrets :)

      May we get more confident with ourselves through this module!

      Evonne

      Delete

Final Reflection

It was an honour for Big Hero 4 to be selected to represent the class for the CPD showcase. Being someone who is terribly afraid of public s...