Tuesday 27 February 2018

Interpersonal Communication Conflict

Dear Brad,

I am writing this post today to share with you about an interpersonal communication conflict I faced during my polytechnic internship.

Being in the front line, I had several experiences with guests whom I had minor conflicts with due to miscommunication or even accusations by guests. However, one of the most unforgettable interpersonal conflicts I had was one with a co-worker.

Being an intern in the workplace, I tried my best to steer clear of workplace politics and focused on learning as well as attaining a good grade for my internship. However one day, I heard from a co-worker that another co-worker, who happened to be an ex-intern, was spreading false rumours about me criticising someone else at the workplace. Upon hearing that, I felt utterly confused and betrayed as it was something I certainly did not say and or even crossed my mind. With the support of my friends, I confronted the co-worker and she simply denied it.

I recall myself dreading work for the next few days due to this incident as I felt disappointed about this co-worker's behaviour and how she tried to sow discord between other co-workers and me. I wish that she had not avoided my confrontation and had given me an explanation for the rumours she had spread as I believe that I would have forgiven her, albeit having significantly less trust in her from then on.

Having been a victim of workplace conflict, I am a strong believer in staying professional in a workplace and avoiding unnecessary conflicts at all cost.  It is important that we try to understand the root of the issues and solve them, rather than allow these issues to snowball, becoming impossible to resolve.

Yours Sincerely,
Evonne

6 comments:

  1. Dear Evonne,
    I realized that no matter where you go to work, office politics are very common. Those people who spread rumors usually feel threatened by your existence or they are just looking for drama.
    The best thing to do is to stay confident and show how un-bothered you are by the ridiculous gossips flying around. Other than that, it is also good to confront the source of the gossip. Usually those people are cowards when confronted face to face.
    I hope there will be no drama for our IWSP. All the best!
    Warm Regards,
    Michelle Tan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michelle,

      I totally agree with you. Office politics are inevitable and all we should should is to remain unfazed by rumours. I hope that you will have an amazing time at your IWSP too! :) Thank you so much for your encouragement.

      Best Regards,
      Evonne

      Delete
  2. Hi Evonne,

    Thank you for sharing this issue. We, as a team felt the hurt that you have experienced during your internship.

    Perhaps somethings that could have alleviated the issue:
    1. You should not have left it hanging, and instead continue to pursue the matter. Both parties must view the situation as a conflict, in order for the problem to be solved.

    2. Both of you could have worked towards a collaborative solution, and explore the underlying concerns of why she decided to spread the rumours in the first place.

    It is very brave that you approached the situation to clear the air about workplace politics. We hope that in your future workplace, you will know how to handle these situations should they occur again.

    With love,
    Chris, Kohmin, and Samuel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, guys, for this feedback for Evonne.

      Delete
    2. Hi Chris, Kohmin and Samuel,

      My sincere gratitude for your advises towards this matter. I agree that it is important to resolve issues like this rather that leaving it hanging. After the incident, I learned that some other co-workers who were interns at the point of time were victims of her rumours too. To be frank, I suspect that she may be insecure about her "spot" in the company.

      If this were to happen to me again, I would definitely talk to the other party nicely and professional and clarify any misunderstanding he/she may have. I would take the collaborative approach to get it settled and not let relationships at work place turn sour.

      Lots of love,
      Evonne

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Evonne, for the final analysis.

      Delete

Final Reflection

It was an honour for Big Hero 4 to be selected to represent the class for the CPD showcase. Being someone who is terribly afraid of public s...